Evington Valley Primary School
Universal Free School Meals
What are Universal Infant Free School Meals?
Since September 2014, all children who are in reception (F2), Year 1 or Year 2 in a state-funded school have been offered a free healthy school lunch. Children in other school years will also be offered a free school lunch if their parent is receiving any of the welfare benefits listed below.
If you wish your child to receive a free school meal, please speak to the school office.
Registering for FSM could raise money for your child's school
Registering for free school meals could raise extra money for the school, to fund valuable support like extra tuition, additional teaching staff or after school activities.
This additional money is available from central government for every child whose parent is receiving one of the welfare benefits listed in the form. It is therefore important to sign up for free school meals, even if your child is in reception (F2), Year 1 or Year 2, so that your child's school receives as much funding as possible.
Parents are therefore encouraged to register their children, even if:
* they do not want to eat school meals
* they already receive universal infant free school meals.
This is in order to raise extra money for the school, which can be used towards extra tuition, learning assistants or after school clubs.
If you in receipt of any of the following, you can complete a FSM application:-
*Income Support (IS)
* Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA)
* Income -related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
* National Asylum Seeker Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
*Child Tax Credits, with a gross family income that DOES NOT exceed £16,190 (Please note that if you receive Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to free school meals), or
* A Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
How to Apply for Free School Meals
* Apply online - visit www.leicester.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals and complete the online form
* By telephone - call Leicester City Council on 0116 454 1009. Make sure you have your National Insurance number to hand.
* By post - download and print a paper application form on the bottom of this page and post it to:
Free School Meals Service
Leicester City Council
4th Floor, York House
91 Granby Street
You do not need to renew your application each year. Once you have been issued with a free school meal voucher, it remains valid until your child leaves school, unless your circumstances change and you no longer meet the qualifying criteria.
For information and advice from the Free School Meals Service telephone on 0116 252 7009 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org